Wood burning, or pyrography, is the art of burning designs into wood using a wood-burning tool. Many of these tools are on the market, and whether you’re a beginner or an expert, it can be tough to decide which is the best wood-burning tool.
Top Seven Wood-Burning Tools & Pyrography Pens Kits
While compiling our list of top picks, we chose products with a couple of factors in mind. Namely, the durability of the features, the number of tip options, the ergonomics of the pen, and temperature control. Wood-burning tools get hot, so parts wear out quickly if not designed well, making temperature control and durability important. Ergonomics make the pen comfortable, and extra tips help users make a wider variety of marks.
- Editor’s Choice: Razertip Dual Burner with Large Skew Pen
- Best Wood-Burning and Leather Crafts Tool Kit: TRUArt Stage 1
- Best Professional Wood-Burning tool: TRUArt Stage 2
- “Cadillac of wood burners”: Colwood Super Pro II Woodburning Kit
- Best Wood-Burning Kit for Beginners: Imoocare Wood Burning Kit
- Budget Pick: Walnut Hollow Creative Hobby Tool
- Excellent Wood Burning Unit: Burnmaster HAWK
With those factors in mind, we scoured the web for the best tools on the market. Based on expert and customer reviews, we compiled detailed descriptions and a buying guide for your convenience. Keep scrolling to see our top picks and recommendations.
1. Razertip Dual Burner with Large Skew Pen with BPH Pen – Editor’s Choice
- Two connectors
- Connector switch to toggle power from one connector to the other
- One pyrography pen
- One connector cable
- Ultra-low temperature control
- Also suitable for wax or plastics
One of the best pyrography tools on the market, the Razertip Dual Burner with Large Skew Pen, has 90 percent of 5-star reviews from customers. According to users, this pen heats and cools within seconds. Thanks to adequate temperature control, even experts are impressed with the quality of this kit.
The two-connector system of this kit also helps make it worth the price tag. A second connector reduces wear and tear from plugging in and unplugging a cord whenever a tip needs to be changed. For extra convenience, please pick up a double pen, line it, and load it with information you regularly use. That way, when it’s time to switch, you can plug the cell into the second connector and flip it.
- The two-connector system makes switching pens faster and reduces wear and tear on connectors.
- Heats and cools quickly for fast and safe use.
- Fine temperature control makes it easier to use and reduces the risk of burns
- Extra tips for different marks are expensive compared to similar kits
2. TRUArt Stage 1 – Best Wood-Burning and Leather Crafts Tool Kit
- 21 tip shapes
- Tip shapes include stamps
- 30-watt to 15-watt switch
- Suitable for wood or leather burning
- Ergonomic handle
- Guaranteed free replacement on all tips, parts, and pieces included in the kit
Thanks to the temperature toggle and the many tips and stamps included, the TRUArt Stage 1 Wood Leather Pyrography Pen is the best wood-burning kit for working with wood and leather. Although the brass pieces are susceptible to damage from prolonged heat, the manufacturer guarantees the replacement of the parts. Users say that the pen is easy to use and comfortable to hand. It also comes with so many different tips, including fun stamp shapes to make patterns easy.
- Features a switch to operate at 15 watts or 30 watts for leather and wood, respectively
- Lots of tips to make dozens of different marks and shapes
- A comfortable handle makes prolonged use easier
- Free replacement on parts that become damaged or broken over time
- The tips regularly break if used for a long time without cool-down breaks
3. TRUArt Stage 2 – Best Professional Wood-Burning tool
- 20 essential tips for drawing and shading
- Pen holder
- A pair of pliers
- A pair of tweezers
- Five fine-tooth files for cleaning
- 60-watt pyrography pen
- Comfortable and lightweight pen design
- Unique two-prong tip design with brass screws
The sheer handiness of this kit is pretty great. With 20 different tips, a nice case, files for cleaning the tips, and pliers to tighten the screws that hold the ends in, plenty of extras make it great for pros. The recommendations of this pen are designed a little differently than the others, with two prongs that insert into the cell and are tightened with brass screws. Some product reviews note that the tips can take longer than average to swap out.
- It comes with a case to keep tools organized
- Ultra-high temperature 60-watt operation makes it easy to use
- It comes with files to clean tips
- The lightweight handle is comfortable to use for a while
- The tip design is difficult to swap out quickly
- The brass screws are prone to wear and tear
4. Colwood Super Pro II Woodburning Kit – “Cadillac of wood burners.”
- It comes with two handpiece clips to mount handpieces
- Separate on/off switches
- Two terminal barriers make for easy cord replacement
- The front panel is obvious
- One Ultra-Flex handpiece cord
- One Heavy Duty handpiece cord
- An excellent choice for gourd burning
- 220 Volt model is available for international use
The Super Pro II is Colwood’s top-of-the-line woodburning kit. It is considered the “Cadillac of Woodburners.” The Super Pro II offers a broader heat range, more potent than the Detailer and Cub models. This allows carvers to draw with different shades and add more detail.
Experienced carvers, as well as beginners, will appreciate the versatility of the Super Pro II. Two Handpieces can be used back to back with this kit. Carvers can alternate between tip styles during a carving project by pressing a switch on the front panel. Terminal blocks are located on the back of the unit, meaning handpiece cords can be easily replaced with a screwdriver.
You are going to enjoy woodburning with the Colwood Super Pro II! Woodburning is a time-honored craft that uses a heated metal pen to burn images into wood. This results in a unique style of decorative artwork that is rustic and visually striking. While any type of wood is suitable for carving, Basswood is recommended. It’s a soft, light-colored wood that makes it easy to create light and dark details when carving.
- Increased Power
- Wider Heat Range
- Cords Are Easily Replaced
- Able To Alternate Handpieces With Front Panel Switch
- Tips and Handpieces Are Sold Separately
5. Imoocare Wood Burning Kit – Best Wood-Burning Kit for Beginners
- 28 tips options
- Two stencil pages
- Two pairs of tweezers
- Holder for wood-burning pen
- Carrying case
- Cushy handle grip
- Adjustable temperature
- On/off switch
Imoocare Wood Burning Kit has many extras that make it ideal for someone just starting with wood burning. The tool heats up quickly and features an on/off switch for added safety. Included with the device itself is a case containing a pack of colored pencils, two sets of stencils, two pairs of tweezers, and a bunch of tips.
It’s important to note that not all tips are designed for wood burning. There are five wood embossing tips, four soldering tips, ten wood carving tips, and ten tips that are good for both wood burning and soldering, plus a hot knife chuck and blade and a converter for all those different pieces.
- Tons of options for curious beginners to try out
- Colored pencils and stencils help new pyrographers create designs
- The on/off switch makes for safer operation
- Cushioned handle is extra-comfortable and heat-resistant
- The long distance from the handle to the tip makes precision more difficult
- It comes with a lot of pieces you might not use if you only want to do pyrography
- Brass tips may be prone to breakage over time
6. Walnut Hollow Creative Hobby Tool – Budget Pick
- It can be used for wood burning as well as soldering
- A hot knife tip allows for the cutting of plastics on small items
- It comes with seven interchangeable tips
- Includes lead-free solder with rosin core
- Tool holder for the pyrography pen
- On/off switch for added safety
- Heats up to 510 C / 950 F
The name of this tool does a great job of describing who it’s for, hobbyists. If you’re looking for the best pyrography pen money can buy, this pen might not be the choice, but it’s still an excellent tool for the price. As a hot knife, the cell is suitable for several different uses, including wood burning, soldering, and cutting plastics.
Initially designed for model builders, this pen is loved by wood-burning enthusiasts too. The price, the on/off switches for extra safety, and the handy stand makes it a great option if you want to try wood burning but are nervous about putting a lot of money into it.
- It can be used as a hot knife, soldering pen, and wood-burning tool.
- The on/off switch makes it safer than other budget models
- It comes with a stand
- Very affordable
- It comes with extra pieces you might not use if you only want to try wood burning
- The long distance from the handle to the tip makes precision detailing difficult
- Single temperature operation
7. Burnmaster HAWK – Great Wood Burning Unit
- 130 watts, so it gets boiling during woodburning jobs
- 10 Burnmaster tips for your creative designs
- 3-year warranty
- Overload protection
- Usable with other pens and replaceable hot wire tips from Burnmaster, Colwood, and Razertip
The Burnmaster HAWK is a woodburning tool kit for people who enjoy making art by burning designs into wood. It is produced by Mastercarver, a well-known brand in the industry, and it contains all the items you need to get started in woodburning or to take your hobby to the next level. This package includes the wood burner, the patch cord, the woodburner pen, and ten different attachment tips for the cell.
- This is a high-quality tool, especially for the price point. It is high-performance and gets very hot (130-watt power) to do the job correctly. The package contains all the pen tips and accessories you need, whether you are new to the woodburning hobby or a seasoned vet.
- There are ten tips to quickly do all the styles and designs you want. This allows you to create more intricate details and realistic art pieces with woodburning.
- It has handy rubber feet that keep it from slipping around while you use it. And it comes with a manufacturer’s warranty you can trust, meaning you can be confident it’ll work for you as expected or you’ll be able to replace it.
- What are the downsides to the Burnmaster HAWK? Some users have complained that after having it for a while, it no longer gets as hot as it initially did. This could be an issue that is covered under warranty.
- Other users have said they don’t need all ten tips and use only 3–5. All in all, there aren’t many cons to this excellent machine; with the warranty, you don’t have to risk much to try it out for yourself.
It can be tough to decide when you’re on the hunt for a new pyrography tool. You can keep a few key features in mind to help you narrow down your options, though—when shopping, durability, tip options, ergonomics, and temperature control are the factors to consider.
Picking a wood-burning kit for its durable features helps you get the most out of your investment and keeps you from spending time fixing the pen rather than making beautiful pyrography. Plenty of tip options give you a better ability to draw, outline, and shade, while the ergonomics of the handle make it easier to use and control. Finally, temperature control makes it easier to get different shades and use your pyrography for other projects like leatherworking.
Safety features like stands and on/off switches are also great. These reduce the risk of accidents and burns. Cases are also commonly included and are excellent for keeping things organized.
Wrapping it up
Although all the tools on this list are excellent, three are the cream of the crop. These three combine all the features that make a pyrography pen great and other premium features to give artists more freedom and flexibility.
We love the Razertip Dual Burner with Large Skew Pen’s unique two-connector system and ultra-fine temperature control for expert-level pyrography. The TRUArt Stage 2 has an incredible variety of tips that give beautiful results. Last but not least, the TRUArt Stage 1 Wood Leather Pyrography Pen proves that a dual-purpose pen can be equally great at both wood burning and leather work. Its wide variety of tips and excellent replacement policy make it a solid choice for any pyrography enthusiast.